Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 11:28:38 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@rover.village.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: fdisk and BIOS

In message <19970819080618.XR34263@uriah.heep.sax.de> J Wunsch writes:
: I've never seen this, but well, better tell exactly what you were
: doing, and what the disk parameters (in particular the BIOS ones) are.

OK.  I'll grab a dump of these when I get the chance (the machine is
off right now in another city).  From memory the disk drive reported
901c 5t 53s in demsg.  fdisk reported 785c 8h 56s for both the BIOS
numbers and the incore numbers.  Once I set the numbers to the ones
listed first (901, etc), fdisk reported 2047c 3h 34s for both the BIOS
and the in core numbers.  Rebooting got me back to fdisk reporting the
785c figures, even though dmesg continued to report the 901 numbers
(which agree with the Quantum ProDrive LPS numbers on the Quantum web
page).  This is wd1, if that matters (and yes, it is jumpered to be
slave).  More details when I can get to the machine again and run a
script.  None of the numbers fdisk reported matched wd0's geometry.
Also, the BIOS was configured with type 47 - 901 5 53 for this drive
(this is an old 386 that I got at a garage sale).

Warner