Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:32:36 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum questions?

On Sat, Mar 13, 1999, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

>>     Any suggestions?
>
>RTFM (vinum(8)):

    This is a case where the various FMs I had read were not sufficiently
explicit to inform me as to what the root cause of this problem was.  A
direct pointer from another poster to this list indicated the need to go
back in and re-run /stand/sysinstall so that I could format the drives
and get newfs to run on them, and once that had happened I was able to
rip off the filesystems, change the partition maps (to add an "e"
partition that mirrored the "c" partion) and attempt to reconfigure them
to have vinum on them instead.

    And with respect to vinum and the FM -- it would help if there was a
default "Use entire disk/partition" mode (which would auto-calculate the
space necessary for the overhead), so that configuration would become
simpler and more "point-and-shoot".

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News/mail/FTP Admin   Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
                The Sky is no longer the limit