Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2017 11:08:40 +0100
From:      Vitaly Magerya <vmagerya@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Sendmail deprecation ?

On 12/06/2017 11:33 PM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to propose the deprecation then removal of sendmail in base.
>
> Deprecation will happen in the form of FreeBSD 12.0 being built WITHOUT_SENDMAIL
> by default
>
> removal would happen in FreeBSD 13.0
>
> [...]
>
> If noone express a strong opinion by then, I will turn sendmail option off by
> december 15th.

While I mildly welcome the replacement of sendmail with dma in base,
what I really want to thank Baptiste and everyone involved for is the
proper organization of this change: first a clear transition path
(sendmail->dma), then a build knob to test the switch, then an advance
announcement with a period for discussion, then a deprecation in the
next major release, and then a complete removal after one major release.
This is how it should be done. Thanks, Baptiste. It seems that too often
we take this procedure for granted.