Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 19:02:48 -0500
From:      Bob K <melange@yip.org>
To:        Loren James Rittle <rittle@latour.rsch.comm.mot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.4-STABLE (built 10/25) -> 4.5-STABLE (built and rebuilt during last week)

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 05:46:30PM -0600, Loren James Rittle wrote:
> Does this problem ring a bell with anyone:
[snip]
> I upgarded to 4.5-STABLE this week.  I tracked the diff in GENERIC between
> those dates.  In particular: added UFS_DIRHASH; set maxusers to 0 and
> removed the number from gif line.  Things seemed stable and I then upped
> the memory to 512MB since a retired machine had the exact same
> ECC DIMMS as I was already using.
>
> I have also changed the new ECC DIMM I added with another from the
> same retired machine (in both cases, transfered right from motherboard
> to motherboard with proper anti-static protection).
[snip]
> Any advice?  I am about to remove the memory and/or downgrade back to
> 4.4 since this is my desktop machine.  Did I miss a step before I go
> that route?

My 2c:

If you're going from having 1 dimm to 2, check your BIOS to see if
there's a setting called something like "Speculative Read", and if it's
turned on, turn it off.  You may also want to try tweaking other options
in there to more conservative settings (but only test things one at a
time).

--
Bob <melange@yip.org> | It's pretty good, if you don't think about it.