Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 23:20:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: does the sym driver work with the xp1000 pci scsi controller?

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

> [...]
I-PCI
> >=20
> > Putting a VGA card behind a PCI-to-PCI bridge is probably not that clev=
er,
> > but it does not seem that 2127X (X=FF) core logics used with 21264's
> > utilize a PCI-to-PCI bridge for PCI BUS #1 (I mean both PCI BUS
> > controllers seem to be attached to the system BUS). Note that I have be=
en
> > unable to find any detailed documentation about core logics used for th=
> > 21264, so I may be just wrong on that point. :(
>=20
> It varies between systems.  The above comment is based on my experiences=
=20
> with a DS20, which has two hoses, each directly connected to the nexus,=
=20
> each hose feeding a PCI bus.  The VGA issue is so bad that even the SRM=
=20
> can't use a card that's not on hose 0.  The Symbios issue may or may not=
=20
> be our fault (I think it probably is), and until we can be sure about=20
> that it's not worth a witchunt.

By the way, I noticed that Linux does not map anything in the 3GB-4GB PCI
address range for the tsunami core-logic, unlike FreeBSD that seems to map
the 2nd GB of main memory in this range. Some comments tells that the
CYPRESS south bridge may respond to some address withing the 3GB-4GB PCI
range. Note that this should not make differences for memory size not
larger than 1 GB. Probably not related with the problem but interesting
difference, IMO.

  Gerard.