Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:58:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jon Noack" <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        "Ceri Davies" <ceri@submonkey.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: standard-supfile = stable-supfile with 5.3 ?

Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 11:34:55AM -0500, Ken Smith wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 05:15:13PM +0900, Rob wrote:
>>> The two files
>>>
>>>  /usr/src/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile
>>>  /usr/src/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
>>>
>>> both have
>>>
>>>    *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5
>>>
>>> although the first one claims to download CURRENT.
>>>
>>> And, eh, why is the filename "standard-supfile" and
>>> why not the more obvious "current-supfile" ?
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand.  How was your system brought up to the
>> new release - was it a CD install or cvsup-ed?  If cvsup-ed what did
>> you use as the tag during the cvsup?
>>
>> I'm seeing what you expect both in CVS and on a system installed from
>> CD:
>>
>> harlow 1 % cd /usr/share/examples/cvsup/
>> harlow 2 % grep "default release" standard-supfile stable-supfile
>> standard-supfile:*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_3
>> stable-supfile:*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5
>> harlow 3 % uname -a
>> FreeBSD harlow.cse.buffalo.edu 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #3: Thu
>> Nov  4 16:14:06 EST 2004
>> root@harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP  i386
>> harlow 4 %
>>
>> The standard-supfile is meant for people who want to track the release
>> branch as Errata/Security updates get applied to it.
>
> Hmm.  share/examples/cvsup/README says:
>
>   To maintain the sources for the FreeBSD-current release, use:
>
>     standard-supfile            Main source tree
>
>     ports-supfile               Ports collection
>
>   To maintain the sources for the FreeBSD-stable release, use:
>
>     stable-supfile              Main source tree
>
> This implies that standard-supfile should be changed to track -HEAD.
> It does make sense that it should track RELENG_X_Y (RELENG_5_3 in this
> case) though.
>
>> The stable-supfile
>> is meant for people who want to track the *development* branch, which
>> is not recommended for people who do not have the time to watch over
>> the freebsd-stable mailing list (on occasion mistakes do happen in the
>> development branch and other development work can at times cause
>> glitches people need to be aware of).
>
> stable-supfile is correct then; we just need to correct the README.

The way I read the "Main source tree" comments (for both standard- and
stable-) is that those supfiles update "src" (and not "ports", "doc",
"www", etc.).

In my proposal for a current-supfile I updated the README to correct the
description of standard-supfile (although perhaps it would be best to fill
in "this branch" with RELENG_5_3 or some such):
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-December/016071.html

Jon