Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 17:04:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Graydon Hoare ()" <admin@multinet.net>
To:        Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: News...

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Michael Dillon wrote:

> Rira bien qui rira le dernier
> MPPS"$Q//$P?##,D#Q0P'PA,&!Q(3`A$"$P,.`@[#$Q(3#Q,/PQ(#`@,"!P,"

Yet surely you know that, with a couple hours programming, I can make an
'encoder' which chooses the 65,536 most popular (small) sentences from
usenet and uses them as an 'alphabet' with which to XXencode binaries.
They'd be a little bigger, but then, base64 is a little bigger than binary
too. And any scanner/parser would then be faced with having to read a
great deal of the traffic and do extensive analysis.

> This is readily discernible by both humans and by automated programs.

if the encoding is well-marked, this is true. It all comes down to whether
the time taken to cull is less than the time taken in the long run to
accept the file and serve it. I imagine with today's traffic it is highly
advantageous to cull XXencodings, but this will not always be the case.

> I think it can happen.

I agree. I think the best method for implementing a saner usenet is to
dump the alt. hierarchy and flesh out the others, and make comprehensible
rulesets for postings that servers can enforce (i.e. no more than X from
a person in a day, no more than X in a single posting -- would help with
spammers too)

-graydon <admin@multinet.net>