Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2024 10:44:39 -0500
From:      Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Poudriere / QEMU requirement when running on Apple Silicon?

On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 10:32:55AM -0500, Chris Hilton wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I'm trying to bootstrap poudriere for package building. My poudriere host is a FreeBSD VM
> running under VMware Fusion on Apple Silicon. My package target is arm64/aarch64 binaries.
> When I start, I get an error stating that I need `qemu-user-static`. I thought that the
> function of qemu was to host cross compiles but I'm under the possibly mistaken impression
> that on an Apple Silicon VM, arm64 builds should be native? I'm probably just in need of a
> clue.
>
> I'm going to follow the instructions and install qemu but I'm still curious about the
> requirement.
>
> Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Looks like a I needed a clue. I was using:

     `$ poudriere jail -c -j foo-arm64-bootstrap -a arm64 -v 14.0-RELEASE`

I dropped the `-a` option from the `poudriere jail` creation command line and it seems to be
working now.

Thanks all!

--
Chris

      __o          "All I was trying to do was get home from work."
    _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks
Christopher Sean Hilton                    [chris/at/vindaloo/dot/com]