Date:      Sat, 6 Nov 1999 09:59:10 +0100
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nmap portscan hangs X server?

On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 09:39:02PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Juergen Lock wrote:
>
> > I since found this in the hung server's stdout/stderr log:
> >
> > _XSERVTransSocketINETGetPeerAddr: getpeername() failed: 57
> > _XSERVTransSocketINETAccept: ...SocketINETGetPeerAddr() failed:
> >
> >  but why it decides to not process anything anymore from its other
> > sockets after that i still have no idea. :(
>
> DNS resolution timeout?

Don't think so, i have hosts before bind in host.conf (and localhost
is in there), and even if it still would try to reach the nameserver
it should immediately have gotten a ENETDOWN back, as the dialup link
to it was ifconfig'ed down (no flat rates in good ol' germany... :( )

 But anyway, as it seems to be fixed in the newer X versions...

 Regards,
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
(remove dot foo from address to reply)