Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 15:18:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Battery recall affecting some Dell Inspiron 5000-series laptops

One of my colleagues pointed this out to me -- my laptop is not a
5000(e), but I believe it's made by the same folks.  (I'm not sure
at this point if the batteries I have are at similar risk.  At least
one that I checked has a date code within the affected range for the
Dell batteries, so there's a distinct possibility that others may be
affected, for all I know.)

Here's a link to a ZDnet article about it:
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5082260,00.html

and a link to a Cnet article:
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5804151.html?tag=cd_mh

finally, Dell's customer letter:
http://support.dell.com/I5000Battery/

Given how well FreeBSD runs on this type of machine, I thought this
might be of some interest.

There are a couple things in the FAQ of interest, as well:

#4 Seems that the Dell I5000(e) was EOLed in March.

#14 Seems there's an APM-related BIOS update.  No clue how that relates
    to the BIOS update I used on my machine....

FYI,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.