Date:      Thu, 07 Mar 1996 12:18:24 -0800
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Act Now !

>>> Nate Williams said:
 > Amancio Hasty, Jr. writes:
 > >  > [huge 'Voice On Net' article deleted]
 > >  >
 > >  > The point being, if use of the internet stopped being an experiemental
 > >  > tool and became one tenth as popular as, say, the web browsers, the
 > >  > internet would stop being useful as a communications medium.
 > >
 > > Voice is just one data type. One incurs far more bandwith with
 > > downloading images, files, etc...
 >
 > That's bursty bandwidth.  Voice takes up bandwidth fairly at a fairly
 > constant rate.

Voice does not demand constant bandwith on the internet;rather, the
internet delivers or tries to deliver a constant rate. A subtle
difference however a key one. You have to define "bursty" here
is only a matter of time before large system distributions such
as freebsd become widely available on the internet as a matter
of fact IUMA with their huge mpeg distribution is a good example
of a *huge* repository for the masses.

 > > By far the worst Internet polluter has got to be those zillions
 > > of Win95 users and AT&T now providing Internet services.
 >
 > No, they aren't 'polluting' the Internet any more than you are, and in
 > actuality they are using up much less BW than you are.  However, there
 > are lots more of them.

Okay, they are not polluters no more than voice oriented apps. My
point is that all of the sudden we are dumping a huge user base
into the Internet and that we should be more concerned as to how
to support them rather than voice or video which represents a tiny
fraction of the user base.

So how come we are not hearing a big complain about the new rapidly
emerging user base???

 > > One would hope that if AT&T is going to provide Internet Services that
 > > they can also support their own infrastructure which happens to support
 > > much of the Internet backbone infra structure.
 >
 > Why should you deserve any more BW on the backbone than a new user like
 > my father?  Just because you were there first doesn't mean he has as
 > much right to use video/audio tools as you do.

The gating factor today is how much am I willing to pay for my
bandwith 8)

 > > The Internet is not a real-time delivery network any attempt to
 > > massively use it as such will just simply fail. People can tolerate
 > > slight delays on ftp packets, or downloading images but when it comes
 > > to sound and to a lesser extent live video they get quickly irritated.
 >
 > So should we expect the MBONE to go away since it's neither feasible nor
 > useful to the general public?

The MBONE is feasible and is probably the only generally available mechanism
to deploy audio / video.  If you are interested more on the MBONE please do a
net search on the topic .

	Regards,
	Amancio