Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 16:52:19 -0500 ()
From:      Bradley Dunn <bradley@dunn.org>
To:        Steve <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Steve wrote:

> I could come to no other resolution than to put them on the other side of
> a router.  The problem did not exist with all 'dialers in' - just a
> subset, but a subset with no connecting features other than that they used
> PPP.
>
> I dont experience the problem with linux boxes or the SCO's (I have
> both) - Just the freebsd's later than version 2.0 (it was not until 2.0.5
> that the problem arose) with or without the extensions enabled.
>
> I know that to get it fixed I would have to become a low level freebsd
> tcp/ip expert, find and fix it myself at the source level.  I dont have
> the time for that.  So it might annoy you, but I found it very annoying to
> spend a week trouble shooting 3 web servers, and another week trouble
> shooting an identicle problem with a news server, only because I had
> switched to freebsd on them - and then could only resolve it by putting
> them the other side of a cisco - because Im crasy and BSD is perfect.

There is a door. Everytime you walk through that door, you hit your head.
You discover that by separating your head from your body, you no longer
hit your head when you go through the door. Was the problem solved? Yes.
Was the correct cause indenified? No.

You don't want to use FreeBSD, fine. Just don't claim it's broken because
you don't want to do the work to find out what the real problem is.

-BD