Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 2014 14:48:27 +0000
From:      Ben Morrow <ben@morrow.me.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@chef-ingenieur.de, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update 10.0 -> 10.1 segmentation fault (nsswitch.conf w mysql)

Quoth Thomas Krause <freebsd-stable@chef-ingenieur.de>:

> binary update from Freebsd 10.0 to 10.1 Release fails after
> 1st reboot with 10.1 kernel and running
>
> # freebsd-update install
> Segmentation fault
>
> I found, removing the mysql entry from /etc/nsswitch.conf helps.
> But running
>
> # freebsd-update install
>
> again, I get "Segmentation fault" again - the "old" nsswitch.conf
> with mysql entries were installed.

When doing an upgrade, freebsd-update merges your changes into the files
under /etc and stashes the merged version away to install when the time
comes. This means if you make changes between 'freebsd-update upgrade'
and the final 'freebsd-update install' these will be overwritten by the
install.

> How can I fix that (where come the old nsswitch.conf from - a
> find / doesn't help).

No, it wouldn't. f-u stores the files gzipped and named by hash, so
neither find nor grep -r would find anything.

Ben