Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 1995 17:27:17 +0000
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@star-gate.com>
To:        James Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Whee - I've got my MBONE feed..

>>> James Binkley said:
 >
 > What is the status for hardware/software for acquiring and
 > sending video?  Lucky for us that nv is available as src.
 > Of course, there is also vic.  Don't forget imm :->!

All of the above apps have been ported to FreeBSD or are available.

There are three FreeBSD hackers with their eye sites on video:

Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
and me.

Also, Xinside has reported that they will be supporting vide extensions
for Tseng's W32  based board which have video capability.

The hold up has been mostly appropiate and affordable hardware which is
now becoming available.

Sure there has been video and capture boards available which
were either too expensive, ran on ISA bus,  the playback was either
a postage size stamp window,  not enough colors, use a vga feature conector
which is incompatible with many svga cards  (example ReelMagic mpeg
playback board) , etc...

I think that FreeBSD can become the killer OS with  support for video
and 100MB ethernet cards :)

Amancio