Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:50:53 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WRKDIRPREFIX= (was: cd /usr/ports; make clean)

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 09:33:37AM -0500, Michael Lucas wrote:
> You would surprise a *lot* of people doing this.  I, for one, keep my
> work directories around for quite a while so I can check sources.  A
> temp directory isn't really appropriate for that.
>
> It's easy enough to set yourself, though.

I totally agree. I, for one, like the setting as it is, because if a port
compile fails (which happens more and more often with -CURRENT) it is
easier to mess around in only one directory structure. Also, I do not like
having large /var partitions (I always put /var on a separate partition)
just for this... I currently have 100megs, which should be enough
otherwise. (this box is not a server.)

I would even risk suggesting that if a centralized distribution system is
your concern on your site, then why not do the compiles on the central
machine too? Why recompile the same stuff on each and every machine? Just
do the package building and install them with pkg_add from remote.
--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szeged University