Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 12:29:43 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        cyu0635@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install freebsd

On Wednesday, 19 September 2001 at 22:26:42 -0400, cyu0635@home.com wrote:
> Hi all
>

> I failed to install freebsd after installing win98 and win2000 server
>
> I created a 12GB partition on ad03 but somehow Freebsd only recognized
> 7M during the system installation, i.e. allocating disk space for /var,
> /etc etc.
>
> What could be the problem?

You could have done something wrong.  Without any output, it's
difficult to say.  What does the partition editor say?  Taking the
(somewhat outdated) example from "The Complete FreeBSD", we have:

   Disk name:      wd0                                      FDISK Partition Editor
   BIOS Geometry:  989 cyls/12 heads/35 sectors

        Offset       Size        End     Name      PType     Desc  Subtype    Flags

             0         35         34        -          6   unused        0
            35     167965     167999    wd0s1          2      fat        6   =
        168000     246960     414959    wd0s2          2      fat        6   =
        414960        420     415379        -          2   unused        0

   The following commands are supported (in upper or lower case):
   A = Use Entire Disk    B = Bad Block Scan     C = Create Partition
   D = Delete Partition   G = Set BIOS Geometry  S = Set Bootable
   U = Undo All Changes   Q = Finish             W = Write Changes

   The currently selected partition is displayed in reverse video
   Use F1 or ? to get more help, arrow keys to move.

I need the lines starting below the header "Offset".

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.