Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2006 11:46:41 +1000
From:      "Alastair G. Hogge" <agh@tpg.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jean-Marc Lienher <jml@oksidizer.com>
Subject:   Re: Alternative compiler toolchain ?

On Saturday 01 July 2006 10:26, Jean-Marc Lienher wrote:
> Hi all,
G'Day,

> I'm new to FreeBSD, I was using Linux since 1997.
> But I decided to switch to the Daemon and leave the Penguin on
> his Iceberg.
> (Yes, for those who are reading the hidden e-mail headers,
> I'm also using MS-Windows :-)
Welcome aboard then.
(Yes, for those who are reading the hidden e-mail headers,
I'm also using Krappy^H^H^H^H^H
Kmail :-)

> After a (too?) quick look at the FreeBSD source code, I've seen that
> the GNU compiler toolchain was used to compile the kernel and other
> part of the OS.
As I understand it, GCC provided very good optimization code for an
open-source project plus it is supported a $%@ load of platforms.

> I would like to know if there is another compiler toolchain
> (C compiler, assembler and linker) which is able to build the i386
> FreeBSD and which is released under the BSD, MIT or any other
> non-viral license ?
Well there's TenDRA[1]. I think someone was once working on getting it to
build the base system.....

[1]ten15.org or tendra.org. They are both forks of the original TenDRA
project. Chatting to some friendlies in #TenDRA[2] on freenode suggests that
there work is still to young to even build ELF binaries on FreeBSD. So it
might have been ten15.org

[2]TenDRA as in tendra.org and not ten15.org. Yes it's all !&$#*^# confusing.

-Alastair