Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 14:52:54 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>
Cc:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>, Dima Ruban <dima@best.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel permissions

Matthew Hunt wrote:
[..]
> I can't be persuaded that a world-readable kernel can ever present
> a problem (the real problem would have to be in some other software)
> and Dima is unlikely to be persuaded to my point of view.  I see
> a pattern in my future: "make install", forget to change the perms
> to 444, reboot, kick myself (since I run with securelevel=1), swear
> to remember next time, and repeat the cycle. :-)

For what it's worth, I strongly disagree with making it 440 as well.  It
serves no purpose other than inconveniencing people.  I mean, the majority
of the systems would stil have /usr/src/sys/compile/SYSNAME/* readable.
What's next? enforcing restricted permissions on /usr/src?  chmod 751 /dev?
How many places do we describe 'nm -p /kernel | sort | more' as part of the
standard procedure for people mailing bug reports?  This is rare enough as
it is, and since it's more inconvenient it'll become rarer still.

Cheers,
-Peter
--
Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>   Netplex Consulting