Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 00:38:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Hiten Pandya <hiten@angelica.unixdaemons.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/41104: Stale comment removal from pccardd(8)

>Number:         41104
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Stale comment removal from pccardd(8)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

	Not Applicable.

	The pccardd(8) manual page holds a very stale comment, which notes
	some (old) facts about how things could mess up with a driver if a
	card was removed; such as freeing the private data structures etc.

	This note is pre-{lkm,kld} times, so it nows needs to be removed.

	NOTE: There is still a note in the BUGS section, about how things
	can really fry, if system resources have been allocated, for e.g.
	Network Mounted Filesystems; I _explicitly_ did not remove this
	comment, as I was not sure about this.

	Please do not hesitate to comment on this patch:
	hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org

	Thanks.

	  -- Hiten
	  -- http://www.unixdaemons.com/~hiten

>How-To-Repeat:

	Visit the pccardd(8) man page.
>Fix:

	Apply this patch to pccard(8), from 'src/'.  This patch CAN be
	MFC'ed as it does apply to -STABLE releases as well.  Heck!, it
	applies to any release which can do loadable kernel modules. :-)

	Index: usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd/pccardd.8
	RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd/pccardd.8,v
	retrieving revision 1.26
	diff -u -r1.26 pccardd.8
	--- usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd/pccardd.8	2002/07/14 14:44:49	1.26
	+++ usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd/pccardd.8	2002/07/29 04:15:31
	@@ -110,18 +110,6 @@
	 Once a card/driver instance is configured, the resources
	 bound to that instance are remembered, and if the card is removed
	 and reinserted, the same driver is allocated.
	-The primary reason
	-is that once a driver is associated with a card, the
	-driver's
	-.Fn probe
	-routine has been called, and this usually causes driver specific
	-data areas to be initialized with the I/O ports or memory resources
	-allocated to the card.
	-Most drivers are not designed to be
	-disassociated from the hardware and then reassociated with different
	-parameters.
	-This will change significantly when loadable kernel
	-modules are supported.
	 .Pp
	 SIGHUP causes
	 .Nm