Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2013 18:48:34 -0400
From:      David Magda <dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca>
To:        John Marshall <john.marshall@riverwillow.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stale NTP in FreeBSD

On Oct 28, 2013, at 00:20, John Marshall =
<john.marshall@riverwillow.com.au> wrote:

> The version of ntp in FreeBSD has been 'legacy' since December 2009
> (almost 4 years ago).  Is there a technical reason why we are stuck at
> 4.2.4 or is it simply lack of volunteer resources?  Perhaps ntp (and
> some of the other imported software in the base) is just not on
> anybody's RADAR?  I know I can "use the port" if I want a current
> version of ntp, but I can't see the point of shipping superseded stuff
> in the base without good reason.

Given the lack of response, it looks like new features and new imports =
may be better directed at freebsd-current@.

For your specific question: FreeBSD is a mostly-volunteer project, with =
some corporate sponsorship. It looks like no one is willing to volunteer =
their time on a new version of NTP, and no company is willing to pay =
someone to look into it.

Going to the NTP software, the most recent version that is called =
"production" is 4.2.6p5 from 2011-12-24, which isn't that much newer =
than what's currently there:

	http://www.ntp.org/downloads.html
	http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Main/SoftwareDownloads

As it stands, the last person to really touch the NTP code in FreeBSD is =
roberto@, and that was three years ago:

	http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/contrib/ntp/
	http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/vendor/ntp/

Unless you're willing to submit patches, he may be your best starting =
point to see if he's willing to pick up the torch again.

--=20
David Magda=