Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2012 00:22:31 +1100
From:      freebsd-multimedia@herveybayaustralia.com.au
To:        "Luigi Rizzo" <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>, <freebsd-multimedia@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New driver opportunity - rtl2832u

=20

On Thu 26/04/12 12:02 AM , Luigi Rizzo  wrote:On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at
10:47:03PM +1100, freebsd-multimedia@herveybayaustralia.com.au wrote:

 > I happen to have a usb dvb card which uses a rtl2832u chipset (MyGica
T803
 > - manufacturer says so happily says that they support linux - yeah
right!).
 > The drivers are a bit all over the place, and apparently they wont add
them
 > to the v4l tree due to a lack of key criteria. I have a version of these

 just curious, what is the exact reason for keeping it out
 (or you have a pointer to the discussion) ?

I believe that the code hasn't been split into modules required by the v4l
compatibility. Too monolithic? Found that on the linuxtv site. It was
written by the manufacturer originally, after all. Also the licensing and
authoring is questionable.

 Slightly off-topic:

 The 2832-based sticks have become very popular recently because
 the stick can be used as a programmable spectrum analyzer, see e.g.

 http://op25.osmocom.org/wiki [1]"
target=3D"_blank">http://op25.osmocom.org/wiki
 http://lists.osmocom.org/pipermail/osmocom-sdr/2012-March/000041.html [2]"
target=3D"_blank">http://lists.osmocom.org/pipermail/osmocom-sdr/2012-March=
/000041.html

 I have tried the code at
 http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr [3]"
target=3D"_blank">http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr
 and it builds and runs fine on FreeBSD (once you
 ignore the auto* stuff and build your 2-line makefile)

That sounds really cool, but how would I get at least a transport stream
doing that? That looks like I'd get more raw stream than anything, I'm not
sure I'd be able to get at least mplayer to read it even.

The really funny part would be using it as a police scanner and other less
than legal activities... :) Seems funny that it would be on the market
given where I'm from.

 cheers
 luigi

Message sent via Atmail Open - http://atmail.org/