Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 22:21:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, sprice@hiwaay.net, smp@csn.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world time???/

Amancio Hasty said:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, I realized the P166 vs PPro scenario -- however I not interested on
> that rather  a top SMP FreeBSD configuration with fast drives.
>
> Theres got to be someone in the list with such a configuration:
> PPro 200Mhz or better with fast ide drives or fast scsi drives.

I have one :-).  Dual PPro/200, one with 512K and the other with 256K.  My
IDE drives are generally very fast also.  I haven't had a chance to "make
world" recently.  I have another dual PPro, running at 233, but both
with 256K of cache.  It has only a single drive (barracuda.)

I should probably consider doing a "make world" again, carefully controlling
the experiments, also doing some performance analysis beyond just the
user+sys times.  I guess that it is getting fast enough to casually do the
makes now :-).  When the machines can do "make world" in about 10mins, then
I think that more people will be doing it.  Imagine a "make world" in the
time that a bonnie or iozone takes now :-).

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org