Date:      Thu, 26 Jan 2023 19:24:18 +0000 (UTC)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        Korolev Sergey <serejk@febras.net>
Cc:        Ioan Samarul <samarul.meu@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rsync freezes FreeBSD machine

On Thu, 26 Jan 2023, Korolev Sergey wrote:

> Hello,
> my experience (not big, to be honest) says, that the possible reason of that type of freeze
> (when nothing helps except hard reboot) is when processes hangs in ?zio? state. Some deadlock
> arises when trying to access to a very busy FS. So, maybe monitoring with zfs-mon can help,
> with simultaneous ?top? monitoring in separate console.
>
>       On 26 Jan 2023, at 20:39, Ioan Samarul <samarul.meu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello to you all!
>
> I am doing a backup for some machines (OpenBSD and Linux) to a FreeBSD
> machine (13.1-RELEASE-p5) with ZFS using rsync (usually with `-avhz`).
> The problem I always encounter is that if I do an rsync to FreeBSD
> everything is smooth, but the other way around, after some files
> copied, the FreeBSD machine hangs. I tried even using
> `--bwlimit=5000`, but it is the same. I can't ssh, nothing. Just hard
> restart.
>
> I tried looking in the logs but I didn't get any useful information.
>
> Any hint?

If zfs is involved at all, no help from me. I use rsync over ssh to backup
about 700GB. The souce system is in a jail. Both systems are FreeBSD. The
command:

   rsync -vvain --numeric-ids -e ssh host1.com:/src-dir/
             /home/user/host1_backup/target-dir/

The above is on one line. A couple of things. "n" is your friend. "vv"
generates a line-by-line log of what was done with each file. I started
with a base that was generated on a different system. I was never able to
get rsync to recognize unchanged files. Eventually I gave up and started
from scratch.

Using "vvain:" on the direction that does not work might provide some
information about the error. As no data is acutally transfered in this
case, if that hangs the log may point to the issue.