Date:      Wed, 28 May 1997 14:05:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        kato@eclogite.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp
Cc:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, kato@eclogite.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Intel Pentium II released

 * > Could it that the motherboard does not support all of K6's new
 * > features?  (I heard you need a new BIOS for that if you have an older
 * > version of some motherboards.)
 *
 * Could someone explain how to enable K6's `new feature'?

It's quite possible that I just don't know what I'm talking about.  I
read in a motherboard guide that "does the MB support 6x86, K6,
etc...can they supply the voltage they want, do their BIOS enable
their chip features" or something like that.

It's quite possible that the "features" part was referring to the 6x86
only.  Now that I looked for it, I can't find any specific references
to them.  However, "http://www.amd.com/K6/k6faq/k6faq.html#4" says:

"What are the AMD-K6(TM) motherboard design requirements? What about
chipsets and BIOS support?

The AMD-K6(TM) processor, Socket 7 bus compatible by design, enables
PC manufacturers and resellers to deliver affordable, top-to-bottom PC
solutions. For existing Socket 7 motherboards, certain modifications
may be necessary to ensure proper voltage settings and BIOS support."
                             I'm not sure what this means.

Satoshi