Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 12:51:11 -0600
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

>> >What is wrong with the ALPHA/BETA/RELEASE cycle (aside from the fact that
>> >it has been pretty much abused/ignored for the last few releases)?
>>
>> "Pretty much"? I feel that it has been totally abused.
>
>That's simply because you haven't kept up to date with events.  The
>whole ALPHA/BETA naming cycle was *discontinued* just as soon as I
>started making 2.2-current (and even one or two 2.1-stable) snapshots
>regularly.  They filled the same niche, and the whole ALPHA/BETA
>system was falling apart anyway due to a lack of concerted testing.

>I will not be bringing back the ALPHA/BETA/RELEASE cycle.  It simply
>stopped working for me, and an non-working mechanism helps me not at
>all when the crunch is on.

I previously noted that the SNAPs do serve the "alpha" function.
However what I feel to have been missing was that final freeze and test
before releasing cycle. It seems to me that there was too much added at the
last minute.

Personally, I would rather see the releases spun off more frequently and a
"Sorry, you missed the train. There will be another one in just a few
minutes(months)" attitude.

I get the feeling that I should treat the x.x.0 release as the "beta" and
the x.x.5 that follows as the "release". You will recall that I was
advocating the spinoff of 2.2 from -current some time ago.