Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 11:45:41 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

John S. Dyson wrote:

> I just want to chime in (again) and suggest showing enthusiasm and
> competency.  However, I STRONGLY suggest that we not show arrogance
> or an excessively superior attitude.  We have so many good things
> on our side (including being very reasonable and careful with our
> claims.)  Let's be extremely enthusiastic, and at the same time
> being very honest about what we are and aren't.  Credibility is
> critical, and that is one of our major assets.  We don't use
> terms like 'Kewl' and 'rulz', even though we have users and developers
> of all age groups.  We all try to chip-in, and don't have any sort of
> cult of personality.
>
> I think that we all want to be a part of a "class act".

Definitely! I would much rather have the _best_ lesser-known OS without
dumbing down our presentation to the point of imprecise English to draw
in GenX. Let Linux cater to that crowd, but let us be forthright in
expressing our enthusiasm. Grog's example post was perfect in tone and
honesty. I do think that there is a place for How-To's geared towards
the hobbyist as well as the well-organized documentation all of us need,
and we also need a place (besides -chat!) for expressing the FUN that
FreeBSD provides as well as its utility.

For example... I've never met Jordan, but I've heard rumors of both
sideburns and motorcyles that just cry out for an xmorph'ed caricature
on the Web...