Date:      Tue,  4 Apr 1995 05:33:30 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org, "House of Debuggin'" <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: emacs + NIS + free() == ????

In message <199504032144.RAA00659@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu> House of
    Debuggin' writes:

>What seems to be happening is that endnetgrent() is ending up inside
>emacs's own internal version of free(). getnetgrent() and endnetgrent()
>are invoked by the code which I added to getpwent.c to do
>+@netgroup/-@netgroup overrides. Since getnetgrent() was never called
>as part of getpwuid() before, I'm tempted to think that this was a
>lurking problem that I foolishly prodded into the open. That or I screwed
>something up myself, which is equally likely.

The best way to catch it -- track all malloc/free sequences and
malloc chain consistensy. Any of malloc debugging packages will help
here. Basically it hapens when:
1) You free non-malloced address.
2) You damage malloc chain by overwriting beyond requested range.

>The select() man page seems to suggest that values larger than 256
>are valid. The RPC problem could be fixed by clamping the value
>returned by _rpc_dtablesize() at 256, but that only gets around
>what could be buggy behavior in select().

Select man page have slightly wrong information about expanding
default 256 limit. I just commit manpage with proper description.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -