Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 16:43:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        julian@ivision.co.uk (Julian)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, hans@artcom.de, julian@ivision.co.uk, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 12.0 GB Quantum Bigfoot TX IDE seen as 8.4 GB

> > Erhm, this is not in the 2.2-stable charter folks, the patches that
> > should go into 2.2-stable should only be bugfixes etc, the next thing
> > is that somebody wants the SMP code into 2.2-stable...
> > There has to be a line drawn somewhere....
>
> Err, it isn't worth arguing the point, but this _is_ a bug as far as I
> am concerned.  I can't specify the CHS setup I need to use this drive,
> I get errors with this drive attatched.  I cannot format the drive
> correctly, I cannot use the drive correctly.  Why not?  Because LBA
> is broken on 2.2.  I'd call that a bug.

No its not broken, there simply is NO LBA support in -stable....

> I appreciate, and approve of FreeBSD's attitude to implementing things
> slowly, and more cautiously as compared to Linux, but sometimes
> you seem over cautious to me.

If you want bleeding edge there is always -current :)
And I repeat, there are no plans to incorporate DMA support into -stable.

> I now have a Hans Huebner's patch, and will be applying this sometime
> soon, so to an extent I am not fussed.  I just don't entirely agree with
> where the line has been drawn in this case.

I havn't seen the patch, but if its a port of my first attempts in
-current it breaks dump severely. Besides there is no need to
use LBA mode to use the big drives, and this has been fixed in -current.

I'm sure alot of people has other things they'd like to see backported
to -stable, but thats the way life is. We simply doesn't have the
manpower to do all the work that involves, and we will not risk the
stability of -stable by doing any hasty hacks.

-stable is targetted as the stable branch of FreeBSD for "end users",
-current is the bleeding edge where new development is hashed
out by the developers.
Thats the way it is, and thats the way it has to stay..