Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 11:00:18 +1000
From:      Joe Shevland <shevlandj@kpi.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Transparent proxies and fetch

Hi,

I recently posted about a problem I believed lay with the 'fetch' command on
3.4-STABLE, in that I kept getting error messages similar to:

>> Attempting to fetch from http://people.FreeBSD.org/~andreas/download/.
fetch: empty reply from people.FreeBSD.org

when building ports. Someone wrote in asking whether our ISP has implemented a
transparent proxy. Unfortunately I culled my mail folder so I can't respond
directly, but the poster was on the money (the ISP grabs any port 80 requests
and stuffs them into the proxy instead).

My question now is how do I work around this issue? I've tried setting the
HTTP_PROXY variable but this just makes the 'make install' of the ports fail
very quickly:

>> Attempting to fetch from http://people.FreeBSD.org/~andreas/download/.
fetch: sendmsg: proxy.hbt.southcom.com.au: Can't assign requested address

I assume this is something trivial like a port I need to put on the end (8080 in
this case)?

Cheers,
Joe