Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 2021 09:36:39 -0600
From:      Jason Bacon <bacon4000@gmail.com>
To:        Julio Merino <julio@meroh.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange graphics issues on G5 with NVIDIA 6600

This is what I have:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Genuine-Apple-PowerMac-ATI-DVI-Video-Card-10=
2A1360101-P-N-109-A13600-01-/184366621028

It's actually AGP, though the seller has it listed as PCI.

I didn't put any serious effort into resolving the resolution issues, so =

it might be possible to get it working beyond 640x480. Or maybe there's=20
another card that someone on this list can verify works well?

Best,

 =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 JB

On 1/11/21 7:34 PM, Julio Merino wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 3:54 PM Jason Bacon <bacon4000@gmail.com=20
> <mailto:bacon4000@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Yeah, ppc works remarkably well with FreeBSD.=C2=A0 If we just had =
Firefox
>     and Thunderbird, I could actually use my iMac G5 for my daily work
>     routine.
>
>     The nv driver is deprecated and gets very little attention these
>     days.
>     You might be better off swapping in a Radeon card.=C2=A0 Not sure w=
hich
>     one
>     would work well with ppc.=C2=A0 The one in my PowerMac G5 only seem=
s to
>     support 640x480 under FreeBSD 12.1.
>

> I recall having a Radeon 9600 XT before (that's what my eBay history=20
> shows) and working reasonably well. Unfortunately, I now noticed that=20
> this other G5 model I have only takes PCI-X and there don't seem to be =

> any ATI cards for it! At least not that I can find. Do they have=20
> different firmware, or was it just a labeling issue and any card will=20
> work?
>
> --=20
> jmmv.dev <https://jmmv.dev/>;

--=20