Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2005 20:57:35 +0100
From:      albi <albi@scii.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Network Printing - Please put me out of my misery

gabriel wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by "try the jetdirect," - I had cupsd
> running and I accessed and configured a printer in localhost:631,
> however, when the time came to print a test page, it wouldnt, a page
> would be printed out that says "*** Unable to open the initial device,
> quiting."

in cups you have the choice between jet-direct, ipp, http, smb and more,
my suggestion was to try the jetdirect if you didn't do that yet,

furthermore, if i were you i would look at the logfiles from cups (put
them in debug-mode if needed), it's possible that you need to change
some permissions in the cups-spoolfile (and perhaps even a tcpdump can
be helpful)

GL!