Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 03:12:39 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Rahul Siddharthan" <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>, "Salvo Bartolotta" <bartequi@neomedia.it>, "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Use of the UNIX Trademark

It depends on how you define successful.

the US railway system is successful for hauling lots of heavy, bulky freight,
like coal, grain, etc.  It's horrible for hauling people - but there's a
simple reason for that - most people don't want to ride the train, they want
fly.

What value is it for the US tax dollars to support a railway system that only
a handful want to use?

Rail has good success for people-moving in densely populated areas like the
subway
system in many large cities in this country.  It's also got some isolated
success
in some downtown areas, Portland's NW area is one.  But once you get the city
density light enough to support space for an automotive infrastructure people
will turn their back on rail and use autos.

As far as moving people from city to city in the US on rail, it's not
economically
profitable any more.  Once the Interstate highways went in, it finished off
rail
for interstate people hauling.

The only reason people call US rail a shambles is because there's too many
people
that still have this romanticized view of trains as though they were 100 years
ago like a sort of super Orient Express.  So instead of allowing Amtrak to die
a natural death, they have to keep propping it up.

Today the focus is on the airlines, and I fail to see now that we are dumping
15
billion into the airline industry to keep it going that there's any reason to
keep
dumping money into rail.

  The British railway system too was privatised 10 years ago,
>and it was disastrous; the controlling company, Railtrack, collapsed
>very recently.  For a good working railway system, try France.  Even
>India has a good solid railway, which doesn't have much frills and is
>grossly overstressed, but still does its job.

It's different cultures there.  Private auto ownership in India is drastically
lower than here and France also doesen't have every spare inch paved with
asphalt roads and parking lots.  You would have to fundamentally change the
culture in the US to make any difference.

Like I said, the US population understands that car use on the public roads
is a fundamental right, even if the politicians are too stupid to get it.
Aside from a handful of greenies, you would have to pry the steering wheels
out of their cold, dead fingers to get them to give them up.  It's not like
the politicians and intellectuals haven't tried it already.