Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 2010 23:55:01 -0800
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        NAKAJI Hiroyuki <nakaji@jp.freebsd.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP! /usr/bin/as core dump after 'make world' from RELENG_6 to RELENG_7

Hi, Hiroyuki--

On Dec 15, 2010, at 6:10 PM, NAKAJI Hiroyuki wrote:
> After all, "portmaster -a" gets a 'cannot compile' error. I found as.core
> in the WRKDIR and 'signal 11' in dmesg.
>
> I tried "gdb /usr/bin/as as.core" and got gdb.core file ...
>
> Is there any way to recover from this terrible stuation?
>
> BTW, I wonder why. Because a few days ago, I successfully updated my
> another FreeBSD/pc98 box from older 6.2-STABLE to 7.4-PRERELEASE and then
> 8.1-PRERELEASE with the same way.

The primary way to recover from a problem with an upgrade is to restore your system from the backups that everyone should be taking.

If you deleted old libraries, then you've removed the shared libraries older 6.x binaries from ports want.  You can probably fix this by installing /usr/ports/misc/compat6x; however, it is better to reinstall all of your installed ports in order to relink against the new 7.x system libraries.

Regards,
--
-Chuck