Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 22:42:01 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@transit.hanse.de>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Wiring down ppp if

Because I like to associate a given tty with a particular ppp (multiple
leased lines together with ipfw and accounting), I wonder how complicated
this could be achieved.

The current method (in sys/net/ppp_tty.c and if_ppp.c) is:
- pppd sets PPPDISC
- ppp_tty.c:pppopen() calls pppalloc()
- pppalloc selects first free unit (if available).

I would propose to modify this to:
- pppd sets PPPDISC
  then either
  - pppd does an ioctl(PPPIOCGUNIT)
  - ppp_tty.c:pppopen() calls pppalloc(p->pid, -1)
  - pppalloc selects first free unit (if available).
  - ioctl returns unit
  or
  - pppd does an ioctl(PPPIOSUNIT)
  - ppp_tty.c:pppopen() calls pppalloc(p->pid, unit)
  - pppalloc assigns requested unit, if available
  - ioctl returns unit

Additionally, pppd would need to know about a config parameter, say
"unit", or "interface".

Is there anything this change would break?

Stefan