Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 22:43:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, Nick Hibma <n_hibma@calcaphon.com>, Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>, FreeBSD-Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Perl 5.6.0?

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Jeroen C. van Gelderen wrote:

> Which either gives me two different versions of PERL to worry about or
> forces me to use an unsupported version for making the world. It's bad
> enough that I have to work around the sendmail bug in the base system
> ;-)

The issue with perl, that I'm not sure has been made clear during this
thread, is that it's a bitch to mangle (or demangle, depending on POV) the
build process into one that is compatible with the FreeBSD build
infrastructure (namely, building with 'make').

Probably enough has changed with the new version as to invalidate a lot of
the current build magic, meaning it would take a significant amount of
work to integrate and test (and even then I'm sure it would have lots of
annoying "corner cases" which break the build for various people and have
to be worked around).

If anyone is willing to take on this annoying task, go over to Mark Murray
who is probably hiding in the corner over there and make yourself known
:-)

Kris

----