Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 00:58:53 -0700
From:      Markus =?iso-8859-1?Q?Hallstr=F6m?= <tubbs@home.se>
To:        bob <bob@antepenultimate.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Security <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Telnet exploit & 3.4-RELEASE

At 15:03 2001-07-25 -0700, bob wrote:
>Sorry, I should have mentioned that about a dozen of my friends use this
>machine for mail and such, so i need to provide telnet access for them.
>Many connect from machines where installing an ssh client isn't possible.
>
>--bob
>
>On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Markus [iso-8859-1] Hallstr=F6m wrote:
>
> > At 14:23 2001-07-25 -0700, bob wrote:
> > >What is the best way for me to secure my 3.4-Release machine from the
> > >recent telnetd exploit?
> >
> > Disable telnet in inetd and start using ssh would be a good workaround
> >
> > /TUBBS

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message

get new friends! if that isnt an option i would check out some of the ssh=20
clients you can run on a website

you could check

http://www.appgate.org/products/mindterm/

and

  http://www.employees.org/~satch/ssh/faq/ssh-faq-2.html#ss2.2.2

I have no idea if any of these are any good

you really shouldnt run telnet anyhow.

/TUBBS