Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 16:36:18 -0700
From:      Amancio <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        dkelly@HiWAAY.net
Cc:        "chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. the rest of the world, poor OS comparison on web p

I just installed the  distribution and my posting was my "impression" and
in fact what I am alluding at is that all is not that rosy in the linux
camp as many of the linux enthusiast would like us to believe. Prior to me
installing slackware my preconceived notion was that it was going
to the best installation that any OS has been able to delivered
and that I was going to compile the kernel blindly fast .

> > Not sure if linux has a network install package however I couldn't
> > find it.
>
> Have you uncovered a *LINUX* limitation or a *Slackware* limitation? Since
> when did the Linux kernel dictate installation technique?

Probably both 8) Most likely there is no network install because
probably linux network servers are not that installable --- it really
takes a rock solid OS to do the job that ftp.freebsd.org does.
Fortunatly in this case they can use ftp.freebsd.org if they
ever decide to go that route 8)

> When itemizing the great things about FreeBSD and the shortcomings of Linux
> and its many distributions, we need to keep the facts strictly honest else
> we demonstrate we don't really know what we're saying about Linux.

You know what, I really don't know anything about Slackware, RedHat ,
Pacific Turbolinux or whatever so I am very honest at this level 8)

> Then we can list "honesty" as a positive feature of FreeBSD users.  :-)
>
> But seriously, when I was trying to do something useful with Linux I
> subscribed to most every Linux mail list I could find. For a while at
> least. The noise-to-signal ratios were sky high. Almost never got a reply
> to any honest question. And most every post seemed to go out of its way to
> slam Microsoft somehow. I don't particularly like Microsoft, but then again
> I don't particularly like the color of my neighbor's new roof either.

Phew, I thought we where bad is nice to know our neighbor is worse than
us 8)

	Cheers,
	Amancio