Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:30:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Chroot and ~/bin, ~/etc.  Better way?

We considered having all the ftpgroup users share ~/bin and ~/etc dirs
with linked copys of the files, but figured that if anyone of them could
somehow find a way to update their /bin/ls or something, they could trojan
it for the others. They could also try cracking the other accounts if they
knew of them in the shared password file - though they wouldn't have the
crypted passwords. Obviously symlinks wouldn't work in a chroot()ed env.

We also couldn't think of anything better to support users changing their
own passwords than having /bin/passwd as their shell. EDI users usually
don't change their passwords often anyway...

Having something that copied a common one to all user dirsets in the
ftpuser group was the best we could think of at the time... - Jy@

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Ryan Thompson wrote:
> Hi everybody;

Hi Dr. Nick! (for Simpsons fans)