Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 1996 18:45:40 -0400
From:      Todd Graham Lewis <tlewis@mindspring.com>
To:        lists-freebsd-hackers@matlock.mindspring.com
Subject:   Re: Retake .. Re: IP masquerading over tunel device

On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Douglas Ambrisko wrote:

> The solution I use at home, is to run Socks on my gateway machine and then
> setup everything to go through that.  Since Netscape supports Socks,
> things work well at with 4 machines running FreeBSD/MS-Windows sharing
> one ppp session.  The problem is that Socks5 is really nice except it is
> a very fast moving target
(...)

If you are going to do a firewall-style setup under BSD, then you might
also wish to consider a combination of the TIS firewall tookit and the
harvest cache server.  Harvest is much faster than socks, and you can use
Netscape with it as well.

You might also wish to consider using a small (386) Linux box until the
BSD support for masquerade is up to speed.  If you want to use BSD,
though, the first solution should be a pretty good ont.

Hope this helps.

Todd Graham Lewis             Linux!                 Core Engineering
Mindspring Enterprises  tlewis@mindspring.com   (800) 719 4664, x2804