Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 18:49:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, freebsd-chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IBM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Brett Glass wrote:

>At 02:45 PM 1/20/2000 , Terry Lambert wrote:

>>It is illegal in the US everywhere shrink-wrap licensing is
>>legally binding.  The "Millenium Copyright Act" will incidently
>>make this "everywhere in the US", and will additionally apply it
>>to things like videos and CDs.  So be ready to say goodbye to
>>used videos and CDs if it passes.
>
>I think you're overly pessimistic about the current situation,
>but there's surely a drive to make it that way in the future.
>UCITA is actually the biggest threat, not the Millennium
>Copyright Act. But the latter is significant too.

Is this really in the works?  That means once a piece of media is
purchased, only the owner may use it, and it is non-transferrable?

>>so-called "service economy", where we can all produce no
>>tangible results or goods, and get paid anyway.

How does a service economy get away with not providing service?

Actual penalty by referee in an American Football game:
"Unsportsmanlike conduct: giving him the business!  Fifteen yard
penalty, automatic first down!"