Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:56:14 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Nathan Williams <nathanw@nils.lib.il.us>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pulse poll at Borland

Borland has a long history of ignoring all but the #1 platform in any
niche -- a strategy which has caused them serious problems more than
once. Their support of Windows to the exclusion of all other OSes in
the 90's made them dependent on Microsoft and practically destroyed
the company.

When I asked them, at the February LinuxWorld, if they'd be supporting
FreeBSD, the marketing droid at the booth asked me (I kid you not)
"Which distribution of Linux is that? I've never heard of it."

The sad part is that their booth was about two aisles away from
the Walnut Creek/BSDi booth. I don't even think they "got it" when
the 10-foot-high daemon walked by.

When I posted messages on their site's message boards asking politely
about support for the BSDs, they simply did not respond. This despite
the fact that Borland language manager Simon Thornhill claims that
"Borland does not have a platform agenda." (Odd, then, that they
support so few platforms!)

In short, Borland needs a serious wake-up call.

A *lot* of people will have to respond to that poll before they even
consider any of the BSDs, and if we're not #1 (or, at best, #2) they
simply won't do it. So folks had better vote early and often.

This is a company that up to this point has had little foresight and
does not have any sense of the value of diversification. I hope they
will change. I'm not holding my breath, though, as they have been so
dense for all of these years.

--Brett Glass