Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 01:48:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Annoying nfsrcv hangs

ps al on my system shows multiple nfsrcv hangs on processes such as df, ls
and umount.  Without any other characteristic problems, the nfs server
machine's exports all seemed to be working correctly.  However, *one* and
only one of the mounts somehow went south.  'mount' on the client machine
shows:

# mount | grep 10.0.0.2
10.0.0.2:/usr on /f/usr
10.0.0.2:/devel on /f/devel
10.0.0.2:/bigfs on bigfs

That's verbatim... The mount was NOT done on bigfs... It was in fact done
on /f/bigfs.  "We have secretly switched this SysAdmin's mountpoint with
Foldger's crystals.  Think he'll taste the difference?" It appears to be
the cause of the hangs I mentioned.  One such hang was one that I just
created by issuing umount -f bigfs.

The client nfs mounts are mounted intr, yet I still can't send a TERM or
KILL that these processes will catch.

# grep bigfs /etc/fstab
10.0.0.2:/bigfs		/f/bigfs	nfs	rw,bg,intr	2	2

The client is a 3.2-RELEASE system.  Server is 3.4-STABLE as of about 12
days ago.

It looks like reboots are in order... But, these are production machines!
This is certainly annoying...!  I thought the intr option was supposed to
help with hung nfs procs.  Is there anything else I can try in my current
situation?  Any better ways to prevent this sort of thing (besides running
SunOS?)  Or is it PR time?

# uptime
 1:46AM  up 118 days 1:14, 12 users, load averages: 2.36, 2.34, 2.21

As you see, I haven't had any longevity problems up until now..

Has anything been built into -CURRENT to address these hangs?  It has
plagued many in the past, and continues to do so.

  Yours truly,
- Frustrated :-)

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2