Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2007 13:51:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@casselton.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, jhb@freebsd.org
Cc:        des@des.no, tinguely@casselton.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, MTaylor@bytecraft.com.au
Subject:   Re: IBM / FreeBSD Install problem

>  John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> says:
>
>  APIC IDs are not programmable (well, they are on I/O APICs, but not local=20
>  APICs).  However, I am working on patches to support all valid APIC IDs for=
>  =20
>  both mptable and MADT.  Bumping up NLAPICS as a temporary workaround should=
>  =20
>  suffice for now.
>
>  =2D-=20
>  John Baldwin

IMO, the quick solution also requires that MAX_APICID in
[amd64/amd64 | i386/i386]/local_apic.c needs to be changed
because lapic_create() checks if the passed apic_id > MAX_APICID.

Also in [amd64/amd64 | i386/i386]/mp_machdep.c checks in cpu_add()
if the passed apic_id >= MAXCPU. There are a couple other checks
in mp_machdep.c before converting to use the cpu_apic_ids[] array.

I was curious, and wrote up a patch file with the potential minor changes
for -current at http://www.casselton.com/~tinguely/acpicid.patch .
I saw one more change needed to use on FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE.

--Mark Tinguely