Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 1997 11:45:18 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Cc:        ajh@truck.its.unimelb.edu.au
Subject:   Comments on location of des directory.

Hi,

Last night I fetched the 2.1.7-RELEASE from wcarchive, and I forgot about
excluding the des directory until after the event.  The packages
directory is really a symlink to ../packages-2.1.6, and I was wondering
if there might be a case for making the des directory similar.

I proposed having 2.1.7-RELEASE/des a symlink for des/2.1.7-RELEASE to
Jordan.  His response was that most mirrors and users are US based, and
the onus is on the rest of the world to remember to do the right thing.
This is fine, except when, like me last night, the admin forgets.

Is there any support from non-US mirrors for changing the structure?
Is there much resistance from US-mirrors to having to do an additional
mirror of the des directory, bringing them into line with non-US mirrors
who currently exclude 2.1.7-RELEASE/des from the primary mirror session, and
fetch it from ftp.internat.freebsd.org?

Thanks for your comments,

Daniel O'Callaghan