Date:      Tue, 06 May 1997 08:33:11 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bind before hosts and iijppp...

> As Brian Somers wrote:
>
> >   I agree that something should be set up by default,
> > maybe with a commented out example of how to be secondary for
> > say freebsd.org.
>
> Too many people might playingly enable this entry then, it's not a
> good idea.  Maybe a secondary for `domain.com'. :-)

Agreed.  I also think a "cheat entry" should be made available, but
I wouldn't mind some comments on this.

I've got a config file that says:
primary		awfulhak.demon.co.uk		awfulhak.demon.co.uk.zone
primary		1.17.152.158.IN-ADDR.ARPA	awfulhak.demon.co.uk.rev

awfulhak.demon.co.uk.zone:
@		IN	SOA.....
		IN	NS	awfulhak.demon.co.uk.
		IN	MX	1 awfulhak.org.
		IN	MX	2 awfulhak.demon.co.uk.
$ORIGIN demon.co.uk.
awfulhak	IN	A	158.152.17.1
www.awfulhak	IN	A	195.11.146.11

awfulhak.demon.co.uk.rev:
@	IN	SOA.....
	IN	NS	awfulhak.demon.co.uk.
	IN	MX	1 awfulhak.org.
	IN	MX	2 awfulhak.demon.co.uk.
	IN	PTR	awfulhak.demon.co.uk.

This is required with X so that my LAN can DNS lookup the hostname
of my main machine.  Is this a *really* bad thing to do anyone ?
I'm not actually the primary for this machine, my ISP is, and the
machine is part of a class B net.

So who's going to do the deed ?  Is it just a matter of
changing src/etc/namedb/* and asking Jordan to update rc.conf ?

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;