Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:32:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
To:        Michel Oosterhof <micheloo@XS4ALL.NL>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-Stable boot hangs

Today Michel Oosterhof wrote:

> imp@village.ORG (Warner Losh) writes:
>
> >Yes.  We really need to split up the ed driver into three new drivers:
> >ne (for the ne2000), smc (for the smc based card) and ls (for linksys,
> >although my off the cuff name sucks).  Probing is becoming much harder
> >for these beasts and order is getting harder and harder to get right
> >for every card on the planet :-(
>
> I also had problems with my latest kernel, that hangs at boot time right
> after the parallel port (which is just before the ethernet devices, i think).
> This could be a configuration error on my part, or maybe i walked into
> the same bug as the poster here (it's an NE2000 clone card). Just thought
> I'd let you know.

I have the same problem, but only on one of two different
motherboards with identical cheap NE2000 clones.  Switching back
to if_ed.c,v 1.173.2.3 2000/05/24 works for me.

Jack O'Neill                    Systems Administrator / Systems Analyst
jack@germanium.xtalwind.net     Crystal Wind Communications, Inc.
          Finger jack@germanium.xtalwind.net for my PGP key.
   PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
               enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null