Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2000 00:24:33 +0200
From:      Graham Wheeler <gramster@mweb.co.za>
To:        Jonathan Smith <jonsmith@dragonstar.dhs.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and console switching crash

Jonathan Smith wrote:

> Hey guys, you're missing his point.  He wants to fix/work around the
> problem.  By telling him 'well why don't you use xterm or...' You're
> saying you don't care that he's got a problem.

Well, its great to have people suggestions, anyway. Yes, I like working with
text-mode consoles, but I do use xterms for limited tasks and I've learnt
about Shift-PgUp/Shift-PgDn which I hadn't learned before, and that could be
useful to me.

So you're right, but so is everyone offering suggestions 8-)

> Yes, he _can_ do all kinds of things in X, but if he doesn't want to, it's
> not like he's saying he wants to run an aout system in 4-stable, he just
> has a preference to what he does.
>
> FWIW, I'm running X4 at work and switch back and forth without any
> trouble.

Several people have reported the same, so I think the bug is likely specific
to the Trident chipset(s).