Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 11:45:36 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem installing 2.2.6 in dangerously dedicated mode

> Yesterday I tried to install FreeBSD 2.2.6-STABLE on the following hardware:
>
> Intel X-Series Deskside/MX Server (P90, 64Mb of ram)
> PhoenixBIOS(TM) E486 Version 1.00.19.AM0
> aic7770 on-board SCSI (Bios v2.11 S3)
> Seagate ST32155N (2Gb, 2049/64/32 in Adaptec's >1G geometry translation mode)
>
> This machine intended for use only with FreeBSD and will act as an ip-router
> and dialup access server via ppp.
>
> So, as always, I started to install FreeBSD in `dangerously-dedicated' mode.
> The installation process was smooth, but after it has finished and rebooted,
> I got ``Read error'' message from FreeBSD bootblocks (start.S, I think?).

"Dangerously dedicated" should probably be called "stupidly dedicated".
It is almost never a better idea to use this mode than the "normal"
mode.

> Then I read the section 8.10 of the FAQ about dangerously dedicated mode,
> in particular, about HP Netservers' BIOS weirdness, then I read the
> README.386BSD and README.MACH from sys/i386/boot/biosboot, and now I have
> a few questions:
>
> 1. When ``sysinstall'' first runs, what disk geometry it detects?
>    What the system bios tells or SCSI bios or ...?

The geometry source varies depending on the disk and the data on the
disk.  The BIOS geometry may be used, as may the geometry in the MBR on
the disk, as may the geometry from a hardware probe.

> 2. From what I've read in README.386BSD, when I install FreeBSD in DD mode:
>
> | Boot 1 also contains a compiled in DOS partition table
> | (in case it is at block 0), which contains a 386bsd partition starting
> | at 0. This ensures that the same code can work whether or not
> | boot1 is at block 0.
>
>    What this table looks like, I wonder?
>    Any good pointer to the source code in sys/i386/*boot will be satisfied ;-)

at the bottom of start.S