Date:      13 Jan 2001 05:52:53 +0100
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>
To:        wkt@cs.adfa.edu.au
Cc:        Phillip Musumeci <phillip@pm.cse.rmit.EDU.AU>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Minix and 2.11BSD for small BSD programs/libraries

Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.edu.au> writes:

[snip]
> Then Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> > sash has very poor shell functionality. I would suggest using Minix sh
> > which is very Bourne-like, and is also very small.

minix provides 2 shells : ash (from some BSD I suppose ?) and sh.
compilation takes less than 1/2 an hour w/ small modifications.
respectives size are :

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  89316 Jan 13 05:31 ash/sh
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  33816 Jan 13 05:36 sh/sh

> > BTW. if someone has the time and inclination to make a couple of ports for
> > useful small Minix programs, I can provide the patches to make them run
> > under FreeBSD.

well. I'm working on AT&T Korn Shell (ast-{ksh,base,open}) right now,
but I'll do it this w.e. if you have time to wait :))

> I just like to agree with Andrzej that some of the applications and
> libraries in Minix would be suitable for producing a small FreeBSD.

do you mean replacing the FreeBSD libc by the Minix one, or something like that ?

[snip]
> I just checked, but the Bourne shell in the 2.11BSD code tree is the _real_
> one written by Steve Bourne.

hue! if this is the one as I remember, the code is really horrible to read :(
the syntax is pascal like (w/ macros), I've just checked it out to verify
if it was I think. and yes, it is :)) it sucks and would not be simple to
compile.

Cyrille.
--
home: mailto:clefevre@citeweb.net work: mailto:Cyrille.Lefevre@edf.fr