Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 1995 13:09:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hsu@cs.hut.fi, jmacd@freefall.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: What people are doing with FBSD

> > There are other more subtle reasons, but those are far enough.
>
> I'd like to hear the subtle ones 8^).  I think the only one of merit
> that I've seen above is stability, and that's only tangential to
> installation.
>
> > We currently use about 15 PC's running FreeBSD as routers and servers, but
> > the user workstations and personnel's home machines are Linux.  The main
> > reasons for using FreeBSD here is Linux networking code (sigh) and
> > non-existant source management, and probably some history.  FreeBSD gets
> > hurt badly by unstability, not much change to "sell" FreeBSD to anyone as
> > long as the longest uptimes are weeks.
>
> Clearly, the BSD folks are more than willing to try to resolve *ANY*
> stability issue you might have; the biggest problem is that they remain
> unreported, and you can't fix a bug you aren't told about.
>

> 					Regards,
> 					Terry Lambert

Ours don't remain unreported :-)

On the other hand, I have to second what Terry says.  I've received a number
of suggestions, things to try, and even guesses in the wind about the
problems I've reported.

Yes, I still have some problems with stability.  But we *are* getting closer
and making progress, and the list of exceptions at present with FreeBSD is
down to *TWO*.

Considering that BSDI has a longer list than that, some of which have
remained open for a long time, and Linux is the patch-of-the-hour club IMHO,
there is no way these compare.

I happen to personally HATE the installer that FreeBSD uses, as adding disks
to an existing system is a real bitch of a job the way they do things.  The
nice (and it IS nice) installer that you get when you boot disk #1 is not
available once you have it up, and that's really too bad -- if FreeBSD had a
nice, clean disk partitioning and labelling tool I'd be in hog heaven right
now.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | (shell, PPP, SLIP, leased) in Chicagoland
Voice: [+1 312 248-8649]     | 7 Chicagoland POPs, ISDN, 28.8, much more
Fax: [+1 312 248-9865]       | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net
ISDN - Get it here TODAY!    | Home of Chicago's only FULL AP Clarinet feed!